Last week, the Office for National Statistics released divorce statistics for 2014, which are the most recent details they have collated for divorce. This shows that out of the 110,000 divorces granted in 2014, approximately 48% were based upon the behaviour of the other party and approximately 12% were based upon the other parties adultery, a total of 60%. As the other facts to rely on for divorce are all based upon periods of separation, does this show that the Government should consider the call by Resolution Members for a no fault divorce process?
Clare Pilsworth had been part of the Resolution lobbying day at Westminster seeking to change the law to allow for divorce without blaming one party.
The statistics show what Clare Pilsworth sees with her own clients, who often seek to cite unreasonable behaviour or adultery simply in order to avoid having to wait at least two years to apply for a divorce.