It is a momentous week. It is the last week of my second seat, the half-way mark in my training contract, and the week that the new trainees start. I can remember how nervous I was feeling this time last year!
My advice to any new trainee solicitors starting at law firms this week is:
- Don’t be worried. At Woodfines, all of the staff soon make you feel welcome and part of the team.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions, it is expected of a trainee and staff expect it.
- If you are new to dictation, then the best people to get advice from are the secretaries. They can guide you through it and provide feedback to help assist you.
- Keep your training diary up to date each day/week, as it is not easy to catch up weeks later.
- Make sure you have access to your mentor’s diary and take charge of booking your mentor meeting each month.
- When you are given work, make sure you understand exactly what is required of you. Go to your supervisor with a notebook and pen and clarify their instructions.
- Always confirm with your supervisor when they want you to complete any work by.
- Use your diary to remind you of important dates, in particular, dates that you are expecting responses or documents in by, so that you can chase them up efficiently.
- Meet up with your fellow trainees to share experiences.
- Finally, most of all – enjoy your time and work hard!
I look forward to getting together with Woodfines’ new trainee solicitors soon.