Home | Family Law
We understand that issues relating to Family Law are highly personal and sensitive. This is why we aim to deal with all matters in an understanding and compassionate manner.
Our Family Law team can meet you at any of our offices, or at another office if more convenient, providing a personal accessible service at the time you need it most. We are members of The Law Society Family Panel, the Law Society Children Panel and the Solicitors Association of Higher Court Advocates.
We always aim to settle matters by negotiation rather than confrontation, in accordance with the best practice guidelines of ‘Resolution’ (the Solicitors Family Law Association). However, this is not always possible, and should this not be the case you can be sure that you will be represented by one of the region’s leading law firms’ and whenever possible you will be represented by the same solicitor from start to finish, including representation in court.
No matter what the need our approach remains the same. We aim to be conciliatory but firm, practical and non-confrontational, we will approach your case with a reasoned and realistic attitude and will strive to achieve the best possible outcome for you. We will protect your interests and keep you informed at all times of our progress, together with the likely cost to you of our work.
Our approach is pragmatic and we take care to ensure that you understand any terminology or processes that might relate to your particular case. We are committed to advising you in plain English both in person and in writing.
We have a highly skilled family department spread across our four offices and are able to advise on most aspects of private client law including:
- Separation - we can negotiate and prepare separation agreements whether you are married or just living together to provide financial certainty
- Divorce - you will need to convince the Court that your marriage has irretrievably broken down.
- Children - we will explain conciliation and mediation, and represent you in Court if needed.
- Assets and Finance - we can help you reach agreements on splitting assets and payment of maintenance.
- Property - we can advise on property ownership during separation
- Pre-nuptial Agreements - pre-nuptial agreements have been given considerable judicial support and whilst not legally binding, they can be taken into account and given such weight as the court thinks is appropriate. The amount of weight given to them and whether they are followed will depend upon how it is drafted and the circumstances in which it was put into place as well as the particular circumstances that the parties present to the court at the time. We have experience in drafting complex agreements for high net worth clients.
- Domestic Violence - if you have experienced personal assault or are suffering from harassment, we may be able to apply for an injunction to protect you and your family.
Children and Care